Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Well, it's a brand-spanking new post for my shiny, brand-spanking new "blog." I don't know much about these newfangled technologies, but as a 21-year-old hopeful staff writer of magazines and newspapers, I feel like I should try to involve myself in this crazy system. It's funny...all this time trying to avoid Facebook and Myspace, and I end up here, starting my own lame-ass online journal about music.

I'll try not to bore anyone, and I'll try to be as opinionated and hilarious as possible...along the lines of Bill Simmons for those of you who read ESPN.com (yes) or ESPN the Magazine (no). As Ron Burgundy says, "I didn't have a mountain...I had a camera and a newsroom." And I don't have a camera or a newsroom, but I do have the internets, the Google, and a computer...so enjoy.

I greet you on this fine wintry-spring of a Tuesday in DC with good news...music is alive and well! The problem is discovering the right places to discover it (a bit redundant, I know). Luckily, I have some help from some very musically conscious friends that allows me to stay up-to-date on all the new stuff, both good and bad, that's hitting the shelves or, more likely, not hitting the shelves and just being illegally downloaded from torrent sites.

I recently had the pleasure of being introduced to the by-no-means-new band Do Make Say Think. Now, you may be thinking, "Why is this guy talking about a band that's ten years old?" Well, their new album "You, You're a History in Rust" is breathtaking. I mean it...every track is better than the last. It moves more than their older stuff, has more character, and still maintains their "experimental" nature. Of particular interest to me were tracks 2 and 3, which seemed to both get the album moving and subsequently throw it into orbit.

I've got much much much (etc) more to talk about, but I should probably save something for another day...maybe day 2?

1 comment: